Friday, July 23, 2010

Bumblebee the Catapillar




Marlene called me Monday and said that she found a monarch caterpillar that was plump and ready to turn into a chrysalis! This was perfect timing because Dylan and I just had a conversation about caterpillars and how they turn into butterflies. Brynn thinks butterflies are beautiful and I have to say they were both thrilled when I came home with the caterpillar Tuesday night. By Wednesday morning at 8 a.m, the caterpillar, affectionately known as "bumblebee" started hanging on a leaf and 10 minutes later had started to form it's chrysalis!!!

I was very happy the kids were able to witness this, because I don't think they really believed that caterpillars "sleep" in a chrysalis for 7-10 days then they break out of the chrysalis and are a beautiful Monarch butterfly! We check on "Bumblebee" every day to see what the status is of his rebirth---by next Friday we should have a butterfly ready to be released!


No comments: